Sunday, April 5, 2009

Threaded discussion ideas take off...

April 5, 2009


This was a very busy day for the teachers. There were many days where we might e-mail six or seven times each. The constant communication by the teachers is essential to a successful connection between the kids.


Cathy, As I can see you have had really nice ideas! I loved them! I will prepare my students to rotate during our Skype time. I have noticed that only a few students interact, using the Skype. In this sense, the rotation will contribute to make them interact more, and better know each other.


Regarding the TappedIn, I also like your suggestion. I will tell my students on Wednesday, how they are going to interact through that site. --Tyrone


P.S. I will ask my students to make comments about your questions at Parque blog. Thank you for having been attentive to their blog texts! See you on Wednesday!



Tyrone, Thank you for sharing your lesson plans. They are very good. I have been thinking about what you said about SKYPE, and I agree. The students need to be able to see each other. What if we had them rotate, two or three on at a time. They introduce themselves – talk favorite music, sports, classes, and ask each other questions. Then they talk about one question to do with the movie. (Example: Who was your favorite student in the movie? Why do you relate to them?) After 15 minutes, we change groups. Then they do the same thing. What do you think?

I have been thinking about Tapped In. Perhaps we could play the "Line Game" as well. Each student could respond to the questions used in the movie to see how we compare to those students, as well as to each other. After each question, we could ask the students who said yes to tell about their experience.


Example:
1. Have you or one of your friends or family members ever been shot or shot at?
Each student could respond, "I am in." or "I am out." Then we could ask them to
write a sentence or two to tell about it.


Example:
• My brother was shot when he was part of a gang. He died.
These questions would give your students a chance to use pronouns. My students also need to write good sentences.


Questions (some of these come from your questionnaire – if we take them one at a time, it will be easier to actually discuss them):


2. Not all of the teachers in the film felt like Erin Gruwell. Give some examples. Have you ever been in a situation where you felt people did not want you there because of your race?


3. Do you think there is racial tension in your school? Yes or no.


4. Is there discrimination of another kind in your school? What kind? (Some examples might be who your family is, how smart you are, how you dress, where you live, how you speak, if you have a baby)

5. Were the students in the class in the movie united at the first? Yes or no


6. Were they united at the end? Yes or no Why?


7. Are the students in your class united? Yes or no Why?


8. (I loved this one from your list) In your opinion what was the most important message of the movie, Freedom Writers?


If all of our students are ready with the questions, it will go more smoothly. What do you think? Do you have other ideas? --

No comments:

Post a Comment